Ph.D. Indiana University, Geography
M.S. Indiana University, Geography
B.S. Western Illinois University
Minor: Learning Resources
- Ritter, M. (2012) Barriers to Teaching Introductory Physical Geography Online. Review of International Geographical Education Online. 2(1). 61-77
- Ritter, M. (2009) Finding Geography on Twitter. Perspectives. National Council for Geographic Education. October, p.9
- Lemke, K., Ritter, M., Heywood, N. (2008) Lab Manual for Physical Geography. McGraw-Hill.
- Ritter, M., Aubert , J. , Birkeland , G. (2008) Student Learning Center for Christopherson, Geosystems 7/e. Prentice Hall.
- Byrand, K. & M. Ritter (2008) Companion Web site for McKnight & Hess Physical Geography: A Landscape Appreciation. Prentice Hall.
- Ritter, M. & J. Aubert (2006) Student Learning Center for Christopherson, Elemental Geosystems 5/e. Prentice Hall
- Ritter, M. (2004) Companion Web site for McKnight & Hess Physical Geography: A Landscape Appreciation. Prentice Hall.
- Ritter, M. (2003) The Physical Environment: An Introduction to Physical Geography 450p. (Online textbook/learning environment)
- Ritter, M. (2003) Implementing a Weekly Web Link Assignment. Teaching with Technology Today. 9:8. http://www.uwsa.edu/ttt/articles/ritter.htm
- Ritter, M. (2002) Technology Guide to Accompany Geology 3e, Houghton Mifflin. 12 p
- Hefferan, K., Heywood, N. and Ritter, M. (2002) Integrating Field Trips and Classroom Learning in a Capstone Undergraduate Research Experience. Journal of Geography. 101:5, 183 – 190 pp
- Ritter, M. (2001) Leveraging the Web for Student Self-Assessment, Another Node on the Internet, Computers in Geoscience. 27, pp. 129-131.
- Ritter, M. (2000) Indian Peaks, CO Virtual Field Trip, Geography SCETNet Series CD-ROM, Scottish Council for Educational Technology, Glasgow, Scotland.
- Ritter, M. E. & Lemke, K. A. (2000) Addressing the “Seven Principles for Good Practice in Undergraduate Education” with Internet Enhanced Education, Journal of Geography in Higher Education, 4:1, pp. 100-108.
- Lemke, K. A. & Ritter, M. (2000) Virtual Geographies and the Use of the Internet for Learning and Teaching Geography in Higher Education, Journal of Geography in Higher Education, 4:1, pp. 87-91.
- Ritter, M. (1998) Virtual Field Trips: Just Like Being There, Teaching with Technology Today 2:4 (Online) http://www.uwsa.edu/olit/ttt/tttv2n4.htm
- Ritter, M. (1997) Earth Online: An Internet Guide for Earth Science, Wadsworth Publishing, Belmont , CA. 264 p.
- Ritter, M. (1995) Digital Chisel, Association of American Geographers Newsletter, Vol. 30, No. 5,.4; 25 pp.
- Ritter, M. (1994) Mosaic and the World Wide Web, Cartographic Perspectives, 19, 44-47 pp.
- Detwyler, T, Rice. K, Ritter, M., & Ritter, S. (1991) Our Environment: A Videodisc for Environmental Learning, Co-author, content coordinator, and design consultant of video disc. Also consulted on content and design of accompanying user index, teacher and student manuals. Published under a grant provided by the U.S. Department of Education.
Selected Informal Writing
- Ritter, M. (2016) Location-Based Augmented Reality for Geography Education. The Digital Professor, 2/6/2016. http://www.earthonlinemedia.com/thedigitalprofessor/location-based-augmented-reality-for-geography-education/
- Ritter, M. (2013) Blended Learning in an Introductory Physical Geography Lab Course. The Digital Professor, 2/10/2013. http://www.earthonlinemedia.com/thedigitalprofessor/blended-learning-in-an-introductory-physical-geography-course/
- Ritter, M. (2012) Tech Savvy Faculty and a Vision of 21st Century Teachers, The Digital Professor, 5/31/ 2012 http://www.earthonlinemedia.com/thedigitalprofessor/tech-savvy-faculty-and-a-vision-of-21st-century- teachers/
- Ritter, M. (2012) Making Professional Connections with Twitter. The Digital Professor, 5/28/ 2012 www.earthonlinemedia.com/thedigitalprofessor/making-professional-connections-with-twitter/
- Ritter, M. (2012) What Does It Mean To Be Tech Savvy?, The Digital Professor, 2/15/2012. http://www.earthonlinemedia.com/thedigitalprofessor/what-does-it-mean-to-be-tech-savvy/
- Ritter, M. (2012) “High-Impact Activities: If You Value It They Will Come”, The Digital Professor 1/5/2012. http://www.earthonlinemedia.com/thedigitalprofessor/high-impact-activities-if-you-value-it-they-will-come/
- Ritter, M. (2011) The Rise of the “edupunk” student – maybe not so much, The Digital Professor 4/24/2011. http://www.earthonlinemedia.com/thedigitalprofessor/the-rise-of-the-edupunk-student-maybe-not-so-much/
- Ritter, M. (2011) Teaching the Geography of Wisconsin Online: Part 1, The Digital Professor 1/6/2011 http://www.earthonlinemedia.com/thedigitalprofessor/teaching-the-geography-of-wisconsin-online-part-1/
- Ritter, M. (2010) Do Students Really Prefer Print Textbooks, The Digital Professor 12/1/2010. http://www.earthonlinemedia.com/thedigitalprofessor/do-students-really-prefer-print-textbooks/
- Ritter, M. (2010) When is a tablet not a “tablet”: a critique of the 7″slate/tablet, The Digital Professor, 11/19/2010. http://www.earthonlinemedia.com/thedigitalprofessor/when-is-a-tablet-not-a-tablet-a-critique-of-the-7-slatetablet/
- Ritter, M. (2010) Replacing the Lecture: Experimenting with the Hybrid Course Model, The Digital Professor, 10/15/2010, http://www.earthonlinemedia.com/thedigitalprofessor/replacing-the-lecture-experimenting-with-the-hybrid-course-model/
- Ritter, M. (2009) E-textbooks: Do students read more or engage more?, The Digital Professor, 10/12/2009, http://www.earthonlinemedia.com/thedigitalprofessor/e-textbooks-do-students-read-more-or-engage-more/
- Ritter, M. (2009) Does the Internet Make Students Better Writers?, The Digital Professor, 6/23/2009, http://www.earthonlinemedia.com/thedigitalprofessor/does-the-internet-make-students-better-writers/
- Ritter, M. (2009) Digital Textbooks in Higher Education, The Digital Professor, 1/14/2009, http://www.earthonlinemedia.com/thedigitalprofessor/digital-textbooks-in-higher-education/